September 5, 2013
Greenhouses, fall, Arnold Arboretum greenhouses at the Bussey Institution, 1955
This week we celebrate the life and legacy of Roger Coggeshall (1927-2013), graduate of the Stockbridge School of Agriculture and propagator at The Arnold Arboretum from 1950 to 1958. He went on to join Cherry Hill Nurseries in West Newbury, Massachusetts, and became its president five years later. In 1994, he formed Syringa Plus Nursery, with his partner, Evelyn A. King, to make lilacs available to growers and the public.
Roger was also a leader in New England horticulture, serving as president of the New England Nursery Association, and a member of the Massachusetts Nursery Association, Horticultural Club of Boston, and the International Lilac Society. In recognition of his professional achievements, he received the Jackson-Dawson Medal from the Massachusetts Horticultural Society, the Award of Merit from the International Lilac Society, and was made fellow of the International Plant Propagators Society.
Also remember to visit our Image Collection.
The Bussey Institution was created in 1870 through a bequest from Benjamin Bussey, which established an endowment at Harvard for an undergraduate school of agriculture and horticulture. Its research and greenhouse facilities stood adjacent to the Arnold Arboretum near its South Street border, a site now occupied by the William A. Hinton State Laboratory Institute of UMASS Medical School. The Archive Collection of the Arnold Arboretum holds the Bussey Institution records, 1872-2007.
Reprinted by permission of Copyright © 2003, President and Fellows of Harvard College; all rights reserved.